Wednesday, December 03, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Shery Shares A Fun Background Technique


Hello, fellow stampers! Yes, it's me again -- I hope you don't mind seeing me here two days in a row. I'm actually covering for Cornelia and Shirley. They'll be back in a couple of weeks to share their fun projects. In the meantime, ya'll are stuck with me...for one more day at least ;o)

Here's a card I whipped up this morning using one of the stamps in the Typografia set. I turned to one of my favorite techniques for creating backgrounds. I love this technique because it's easy and quick. I used the Distressed Damask Background along with an embossing folder.



Here's how I did the background:

STEP 1
I inked up the background stamp with archival ink (Coffee Brown). Because I was after a distressed look, I didn't try to cover the entire stamp with ink.


STEP 2
Next, I inked up one side of a Sizzix embossing folder with Distress inks (Mustard Seed and Fired Brick), spritzed it with water, then placed my card base face down to transfer the ink.



STEP 3
Then I sponged the same Distress inks on the card.


STEP 4
I added bits and pieces of drywall tape and sticker stitches, stamped the word art on white cardstock, trimmed it down to size, and distressed and inked the edges with Distress inks (Mustard Seed and Black Soot) before adhering it to the card base. I adhered two black strips to the sides to finish the card :o)



That's it for me today. I hope you'll give this fun technique a try! We'll be back tomorrow with a new project by Monika.


Stamps Shery used in today's project:

  stmp1002-a.jpeg

Prize alert! Leave a comment for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing for December. We'll pick a commenter to win $10 worth of a new product we're introducing in January. (Hint: it's flat, light, and you can do all sorts of fun things with it!) We'll announce the winner on January 1!

21 comments:

  1. Gorgeous background for this fun card, Shery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great technique (range of techniques). I've seen the distress inks and embossing folder before but forgotten. must have a go. this is so effective. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I'm going to have to try this technique! I'll be stuck with you any day because you always showcase the coolest things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the embossing folder technique, one of my favorite to get gorgeous backgrounds! its a very vibrant card Shery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a treat to see yet another of your creations Shery :) You really do have a special knack for combining two techniques together on your card. What a beautiful card, just love how the colors have brought out the detail of the embossing folder and the stamped BG. Thank you for sharing and the inspiration:)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make this look soooo easy, how could a person not be tempted to give these techniques a try! Ultra cool; wonderfully fabulous and all around amazing!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow ! The bright bg looks stunning on black base , I loved the technique and your card both :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is great technique. I was sort of trying it but never have time and space. Now i will try it again with some of your tips. Your card looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will try this this weekend! Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to get my distress inks, have your tutorial in front of me and try this technique. It is pretty but mine do not look like yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The technique is fun and the result beautiful! Hugs, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing! Love all of the techniques you share with us. I will definitely be giving this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The background is just fabulous! Thanks for sharing your technique.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty - love the colors.
    isoscia at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is AMAZING, Shery! I love the techniques you used--so much amazing texture with them! The stitching is fab, too! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. i gotta add my "amazing" in here too--just so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such an effective background and the colours are beautiful. It's so lovely it doesn't need much else to set it off.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for reminding me you don't always have to ink the whole stamp. Love your background and it's really striking against the black. Hugz

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)