Tuesday, December 30, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Monika Creates 3 Cards Using a Fun Background Technique!



Hi, everyone. Hope you all had a lovely Christmas. This is a quick post from me today as a result of some playtime before the festive season where I played with my small ColorBox pigment inks and some stamps. They arrived through the post the week before Christmas, and I couldn't help but playing. Here are the two cards I made using the Distressed Damask Background and the Distressed Floral Swirls plus a couple of stamps to keep you looking forward to the New Year.



  • I randomly inked the background stamp using my ColorBox inks and stamped the background twice without re-inking.
  • For the first card, I simply stamped my sentiment in black pigment ink, layered onto my base card, and added twine and sequins to finish.
  • For my second card I inked up some of the floral swirls using some of the colours I used for the background (lilac, rose pink, and turquoise), and stamped them into the bottom left hand corner and the top right hand corner before adding my sentiment in black, layering as shown and finishing off with some matching gems.
  • Two fun and quick cards to make.
TIP: I wanted to go bright and bold hence I used several colours. Try using one or two for a more subtle effect.
Both sentiments are stamps that are going to be available in the shop's fun new category, Stamp Lab, which we're introducing in 2015. Exciting times ahead!

Here is the video for my first card:



Here is the video for my second card:



Given that I had so much fun, I couldn't resist making another card to sneak in before this post went live. This time teaming both sets with our current stamp club set, Sugar Rush.



  • I started off by inking the damask background stamp using a ColorBox Petalpoint inkpad. The stamped background looks a little like scoops of ice cream, that's where I got my idea from.
  • Next, I arranged and stamped the sentiment before partially inking the leaf from the floral swirls set and stamping it into position.
  • I added my ice cream sundae, which was already coloured and fussy cut,
  • Layered on my base card as seen and added sprinkles in the form of sequins for fun.
Tip: You can achieve a similar pattern using dew drop shaped inkpads arranged in a blossom shape.
Here is the video on how I made my third card:



Hope you feel inspired using the Distressed Damask Background in different ways. I for one am looking forward to seeing your makes using this technique. Before I go, just a quick note: If you have been sitting on the fence about joining our stamp club, now is a really good time to do it. With more products being added to the inclusive package next year, joining now will actually save you money. The full details and preview of what's new for 2015 can be found here

Wishing you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR full of crafting magic!


Hugs,
Monika x



Stamps Monika used in today's project:


     


Sugar Rush is the December 2014/January 2015 set in the STAMPlorations stamp club! We've got lots of perks, including a free 4" by 6" stamp set like Trendy Butterflies sent every 3rd shipment (or immediately after signing up for the semi-annual subscription) and in 2015, we're including ARTplorations stencils ($10 value) to every stamp club package mailed out to subscribers! To join the stamp club, click here.


Prize alert! Leave a comment in this post for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing for December. We'll pick a commenter to win $10 worth of ARTplorations stencils. We'll announce the winner on January 1!

15 comments:

  1. These are darling cards. The bright swirls of color just make them look so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the terquoise and old rose together. I really love the distressed floral swirls and the sugar rush together!! I think it is neat how you have leveraged your stamp supplies and used the stamp pad as part of your pattern. What a great ides!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, love the "ice cream scoops" and that lovely sundae. What a lovely idea for backgrounds. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. The swirls are so pretty. I love the colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the fun color combo you used! And I adore the way you stamped the background on the last card--totally awesome! HUGS and happy new year! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you used your stamp pad to make different patterns on 3 different takes for the BG stamping:) Simply all are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really fun background technique. I love the bright colours you used for first two cards. Colours like this really make the day brighter and you feel blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such pretty colors and I love the ice cream sundae.
    isoscia at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your style. Thanks for the tip on how to use the dew drops to make a blossom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those soft backgrounds! Very cool making that blossom from the dew drop inks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. gorgeous backgrounds. I have these stamps and hope I can play with them real soon! Thanks for the wonderful videos!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome and so fun!! Love seeing that technique - very cool!!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)