Sunday, December 28, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Maria Explores Loo Rolls and Masterboards



Meet the loo roll. My teamie Shirley enlightened me that that is what spray-ink-goddess-Dyan-Reaveley would call the common toilet paper roll. Ever decorate a tree in someone's front yard with 'em? Or was that just a Michigan thing? I digress.

Actually, this all came about because of the pattern that I noticed on the TP. See the leaves?


I had wanted to make a mixed media card and decided to play with my Dylusions spray inks and see if I could get that TP design to show up on my background when I "rolled" the loo roll over the puddles of ink. (You can watch the spray-ink-goddess herself in action in this video). The design didn't show up. But that's OK, cuz the process was oh-so-fun and the result looks oh-so-cool anyhow!





Created my masterboard by spritzing in my cardboard box with a piece of contact paper backing. (TIP: I sop up the leftovers that puddle up on it with tags or scraps to save for other projects.) The phone rang after I had sprayed the yellow and orange, so those blotches happened cuz it dried before I could roll it with the loo roll!

What you see in the photo above is the reaction when I sprayed it with water and then a bit of green. (TIP: Limit yourself to just three colors for the best backgounds). Then I "rolled" it.




So then I did some ghosting - spritzed water through an alpha stencil then flipped the wet stencil over to get negative ghosting (visible on the bottom half). And then some stencilling, or "spritz/flip" as Dyan calls it - sprayed orange ink through a circle stencil then flipped it over to "stamp" the negative image on the right. Added a few opaque red splatters and my masterboard was born.

What to do with it? I trimmed a portion to use on a card featuring CityGirl!



I stamped the block sentiment randomly with white pigment ink on the inked panel. I stamped part of CityGirl on the panel, and all of her on the white card base. I added a strip of complementary PP along the top and a birthday sentiment along the bottom. Then I lined up and adhered the panel on the card. My finishing touch was the Glossy Accents on her sunglasses!

Why not grab the last Christmas cookies and your spray inks and play?



Stamps Maria used in today's project:

stmp1076.jpeg


Did you know that stamp club members get to pick the stamps they wish to receive with their subscription? They can pick from the premium 5" by 7" sets, but they can also choose from the other stamps we have in the shop, including CityGirl, so long as the sets have a combined value that is equivalent to the subscription cost. Stamp club sets also ship free worldwide. 

We've got lots of perks, including a free 4" by 6" stamp set like Trendy Butterflies sent every 3rd shipment (or immediately after signing up for the semi-annual subscription) and in 2015, we're including ARTplorations stencils ($10 value) to every stamp club package mailed out to subscribers! 

The stamp club price is only $25 every two months (inclusive of shipping). For more info and to sign up, click here.


Prize alert! Leave a comment in this post for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing for December. We'll pick a commenter to win $10 worth of ARTplorations stencils. We'll announce the winner on January 1!

23 comments:

  1. I love Dylusions sprays and the masterboard you've created is just gorgeous, Maria! Never tried using a "loo" roll to make a design in the spray, however. The city girl is coming to me in my next club kit - can't wait to play with her. Love what you did with the background and the stamp. Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting technique, not had a go, could work with Brusho as I don't have Dylusions inks.
    Time to go and have a play. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many ideas so little time! Gorgeous colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, your stamping tools are getting to expensive!! Even without the TP design not showing up the background is just fabulous! I love the orange and yellow with the touch of green. I also like the wording on the background. Great idea, nice card!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you are thinking outside the box :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way the background paper turned out.
    isoscia at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Dylusions need to be my next purchase because that background is stunning! Even if the "loo roll" didn't shine through. Very lovely design!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have me looking at my roll of toilet paper in a whole new way! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loo Roll.
    I gotta remember that.
    This technique is awesome...your card is AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cool! Love the ghost effect with dylusion inks and how you stamped the city girl, a cool technique! Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning background! It came out very vibrant and eye-catching!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, you may not have gotten you leaf impression but you certainly got a gorgeous background! Fantastic card! Love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing, this stenciling and ghosting looks great. I must try it once I have no kids around (maybe better with them :). Card looks very cool. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous panel you have created with fun techniques

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Maria. This is so cool. Stunning master board and great technique. Love how you used by it for your CityGirl card. Hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, this is totally awesome! LOVE this great technique--totally new spin on spotlighting!!! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Plenty christmas cookies here still hee hee. Love your masterboard. Never tried ghosting. Love the effect. Must give it a go. It looks like it might be messy. What fun. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful effect on that spritzed piece! Love how you used it on this card.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your creative process, oh-so-fun post and gorgeous card sure brought a much-needed smile to my face, and a boost to my spirits! Fabulous...and brilliant!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  20. My goodness, Maria, such a striking card and what a wonderful creative process! You are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)