Monday, December 15, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Cornelia Gets Ready for the New Year!


Hi, Cornelia here with a New Year's card - a change from Christmas!
I had enough of Christmas cards and the New Year is certainly a card-worthy event, so why not prepare for it in time?



I used VIGNETTE: Eat Drink Be Merry, SENTIMENT BUILDERS: Happy, and Sentiment Builders: Christmas & New Year to make this card.






I started with watercolor paper and heat embossed the sentiment on it:





Sprinkled blue and purple Brushos on it. You can see that you need very little of the powders, and they look like little specks of pepper. If you don't have Brushos, you can just use regular watercolors. They work quite as well! 




I misted it with water. The paper warped so I weighed it down with acrylic blocks.


Let it dry. Of course, I have no patience, so I used my heat gun to speed it up. If you look closely you see little specks of dried paint on the embossed letters. I wiped them off with a damp cloth (see second photo):






I heat embossed the champagne glasses in silver on a piece of scrap paper:



I fussy cut them, colored them with Copics, and mounted them with foam tape on the card:




I hope you enjoyed this post. Happy holidays to all of you!


Stamps Cornelia used in today's project:

     


Prize alert! Leave a comment for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing for December. We'll pick a commenter to win $10 worth of a new product we're introducing in January. (Hint: it's flat, light, and you can do all sorts of fun things with it!) We'll announce the winner on January 1!

22 comments:

  1. This turned out great, Cornelia! Those brushos powders look cool! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card! It looks very happy and festive!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute - love the embossed champagne glasses and the blue background.
    isoscia at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the watercolor. Never have tried it but you inspire me to...I will have to check out the supplies. The embossed glasses are so festive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cornelia - yes, I'm reaching the 'enough of Christmas cards' point too (just a few more to go), so seeing your bright, beautiful New Year's card has me mega-watt smiling! Your colours/techniques and images: celebration ALL the way! Love this!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this splash of color! This is such a cool card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the tutorial--love how fun this is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! the brushos surely are fun to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving your New Year card Cornelia! Well done for getting such fantastic results with the Brushos. The images embossed in silver over the top look fantastic, very lucky recipients!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow , Fun technique to create a background on card !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic! Love the big splash with the glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful card and colors. I have no patience... I too dry thing with my heat gun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I must buy Brushos..
    your background look soo amazing Cornelia..
    Love your New Years Card...
    So inspiring...
    Thanks for sharing schatzy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing colours from the brushos. Love this card. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is SO pretty, Cornelia! I LOVE that bright blue! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. That inky background is so effective. I think I might need to look into Brushos, I keep seeing them pop up, Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Fabulous card! Love the techniques you've used! Think I may have to buy myself a few more Christmas presents ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This splash of blue is really great, the card looks very elegant with silver glasses. Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)